This savoury side baked in a bundt pan is a delicious addition to your autumn dinner menu. The recipe may be adapted for vegan, lactose-free and gluten-free diets.
• 1kg (2 lbs) carrots, grated
• 64 g (½ C) butter or margarine plus extra to grease pan
• 250 ml (1 cup) milk
• 175 g (6 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
• 40 g (¼ C) onion, chopped
• 250 mg (⅛ t) cayenne pepper
• 250 mg (⅛ t) black pepper
• 2 eggs
• 100 g (1 C) soda crackers or matzo meal
• Fresh parsley (optional garnish)
For vegan diets, substitute soy margarine, soy milk, vegan cheese and egg substitute.
For lactose-free diets, use soy margarine, lactose-free milk and lactose-free cheese.
For gluten-free diets, substitute gluten-free rice crackers or gluten-free matzo meal for the soda crackers.
1. Preheat oven to 165° C or 325° F
2. Beat eggs with milk
3. Add milk and eggs to shredded carrots, mix
4. Add crushed crackers, cheese and butter, mix
5. Add onion and pepper, mix
6. Grease a 23 cm (9-inch) bundt pan well
7. Fill bundt pan with carrot mixture
8. Bake for 50-60 minutes until tester inserted near centre comes out clean.
9. Cool carrot ring in pan on a rack for 15 minutes.
Turn carrot ring out of bundt pan onto a platter and serve warm. Add parsley as garnish if desired.