Seared Brussels Sprouts with Sunflower Butter and Cranberries
- 1 dozen brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or thawed if frozen
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1 star anise
- 2 juniper berries
- 1 sprig rosemary
- black pepper
- Combine the orange juice, star anise, honey, juniper berries and rosemary. Bring to a boil in a sauce pot. Add the cranberries and keep at a low heat until they are tender.
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until they smell nutty and are hot to the touch, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cover them with just enough water to keep them submerged and let them sit for 2 minutes. Strain off the water and add the seeds to a food processor or blender. Blend them, adding just enough water to allow the food processor to spin. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half vertically, trim off the bottom, and remove the loose leaves. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Lay out evenly on a baking sheet and cook in the oven until the outsides are blistered and the inside is knife tender, about 10 minutes.
- To assemble, spread a thin layer of the sunflower butter on the cut side of the brussels sprouts.
- Finish with a cranberry on top of each. Candied or fresh orange zest also makes a wonderful garnish.