Smoked Salmon Niçoise Salad
Try this recipe for a refreshing smoked salmon niçoise salad from Urban Angel magazine.
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tsp (about ½) shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup small potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup green beans or asparagus, trimmed
- 6 large eggs, hard boiled
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups (450 g) smoked salmon
- 4 cups baby greens, mixed
- ¼ cup niçoise olives, pitted
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until fork-tender, about 15−20 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Return water to a boil and cook green beans or asparagus in the same saucepan for about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water. Chill until cold, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs, cut into halves and set aside.
- Prepare the vinaigrette: whisk the vinegar, lemon juice and zest, shallot, mustard, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until mixed.
- Toss the tomatoes in a small bowl with salt and pepper to taste. Add about ¼ cup vinaigrette to the potatoes and toss.
- Place the baby greens on a platter. Arrange the potatoes, green beans or asparagus, hard-boiled eggs and smoked salmon on top. Pour any juices from the tomatoes into the dressing, then add the tomatoes to the platter. Drizzle with dressing and top with the olives.